College Hall, located at 125 George Street, was originally constructed in 1855 as a private residence by Levi D. Jarred, a local merchant and political figure. Italianate in style, College Hall is constructed of cut brownstone with a variety of roof and window shapes. Italianate architecture is based upon Italian Renaissance styles. It first gained popularity in England in the early nineteenth century and was often used in America from 1840-1890. As seen here, a tower was often incorporated into the building. John N. Carpender, a trustee and graduate of Rutgers, purchased it in 1880. In 1918, the building was leased from the Carpender family for the newly established New Jersey College for Women, later known as Douglass College. Eventually Rutgers purchased the mansion and it became known as College Hall. Today, College Hall is used for administrative offices and is not open to the public.