Cornelius Low House

Cornelius Low House

The Cornelius Low House on River Road in Piscataway is the Middlesex County Museum and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The Cornelius Low House was built in 1741 and belonged to Cornelius Low, a merchant who lived at Raritan Landing. In a notation in the family Bible from October 1741, Low states his son William was born “in my new house on the mountain.”  The Low House is a classic example of Georgian architecture, a style guided by balance, proportion and symmetry. It is constructed of more than 350 tons of local sandstone. The side facing River Road features more finely cut stone while the sides and rear are built in far less expensive rubble stone. There was originally a one-and-one-half story kitchen wing attached to the left side of the structure. Low and his wife, Johanna, had eleven children. Sadly only four of the children lived past the age of 36: Isaac, Nicholas, Gertrude and Sarah.  Isaac Low, a former member of the Continental Congress, and his brothers-in-law Hugh Wallace and Alexander Wallace were Loyalists; Nicholas was a Patriot. Cornelius Low died early in the Revolutionary War in April 1777. It is believed he was a Loyalist, and this is why his house remained untouched by British soldiers, who were encamped in the area.  Archaeological excavations revealed proof of British soldiers being on the property.  After the American Revolution, the house was sold to the Pool family, which lived in the house until the mid-nineteenth centu

View more

LOCATION

Cornelius Low House

1225 River Rd, Piscataway, NJ 08854

ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE

  • ico-y-knife.pngCheese Coffee Caf Downtown
  • ico-y-knife.pngLiu Chinese Fast Food
  • ico-y-knife.pngVinaigrette
  • ico-y-knife.pngGarcias Kitchen The Original
  • ico-y-knife.pngRoute 66 Malt Shop
  • ico-y-knife.pngBottger Mansion of Old Town
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngBottger Mansion of Old Town
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngLiu Chinese Fast Food
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngBottger Mansion of Old Town
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngLiu Chinese
  • ico-y-wscreen.pngVinaigrette

Accessibility Information

The first floor of the Low House is fully accessible for visitors with limited mobility. There is a captioned video of second floor exhibit areas. Large type and Braille guides are available. Sign language interpreters are available for all public programs with two weeks advance notice. School and group visits are by appointment only.

PARKING INFO

From Sutphen Road, the Museum parking area will be immediately on your left, at the back of the lot. The path marked Cornelius Low House Interpretive Path begins inside the gate. Follow this path to the Low House. The path is approximately 1000 ft. long, with benches along the way.

PUBLIC HOURS

Wednesday – Friday: 10am – 4pm
Saturday and Sunday: 12 – 4pm​
Open until 8pm, Thursdays in June, July and August

PUBLIC ADMISSION FEES

Museum admission and all programs are free and open to the public.

PHOTOS

  • Overview image of the African American room depicting items used by French soldiers and African American soldiers in WWI. Items in the case, on the mannequin, and bayonets behind the mannequin courtesy of Alan Lowcher. Citation courtesy Margaret Buchholz

Contact information

    Website
/
    Facebook
/

   

  

Middlesex County Historic Properties

Middlesex County Historic Districts